Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Henry B. Hotz
Subject Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 11:58 PM +0200 8/4/00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Henry B. Hotz writes:
>
> > Shouldn't there be an option to disable shared libraries altogether?
>
>The promised land for all of this is GNU libtool, which offers all these
>little options. I brought up the rpath thing a while ago, and while it
>might look the same on a lot of platforms, it's potentially just another
>source of problems when implemented manually. The LD_RUN_PATH does the
>same thing on many platforms; perhaps we should mention it somewhere.

NetBSD has a FAQ on all the arguments about what ELF does/doesn't,
should/shouldn't do.  What I can remember sounded pretty unresolved,
with a clear disconnect between the design intent for ELF and actual
current practice.

I think what you're supposed to do in NetBSD is what was said earlier
(-Wl,-R/usr/whatever/lib).  Sounds like that conflicts with a lot of
people's beliefs about how to do it on a lot of other platforms
though.  It also breaks the "try the regression tests before
installing" feature.

*sigh*

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.